Sunday, July 23, 2006

Am I Singaporean?

Venus seems so far away, empty coffers make the most noise

Are you proud to be Singaporean? Are you proud of the contractors who have such stinky names for their companies, and who swear left right and centre? Are you proud of the state of extremely inpolite people who dwell in vertically stacked slums? Are you proud of being ranked amongst the world's lowest in politeness, political and press freedom? Are you proud that there is no freedom of speech? Are you proud of having everything being censored despite ratings? Are you proud that we only have one station that grovels the ruling party? Are you proud of the fact that cabbies are pulled of the streets for making politically charged statements? Are you that ashamed of the fact that our lousy system will be uncovered by the visiting conventionists? Are you proud of the fact that there are poor kids trying to act like OC kids? Are you proud of the idiots who tell lies that they study french and visit multiple universities but still study in Singapore? Are you proud of extremely poor people who try to stick their noses in everything and try to be a hero by doing stupid things? Are you proud that Singapore Idol has no talent nonewhatsoever, and that Paul Christopher Twohill looks like a zombie without his ugly curtains? ARE YOU PROUD OF THE FACT THAT SINGAPORE'S SPORTING GLORY IN WON NOT BY OUR PEOPLE, BUT BY FOREIGNERS WHO UNDOUBTEDLY LEARNED THEIR TRADE IN SOME FOREIGN COUNTRY? Are you proud that we have to prove ourselves over foreigners, when they should be proving themselves over us? Are you proud that bloggers must be registere? Are you proud that a parent's concern resulted in a loss of income? Are you proud of punks who have Eiffel Towers for hairstyles, and who wear pink shirts, wear basketball shoes, hang in groups, swearing loudly, but are nothing? Are you proud of the "backsides face east" who laugh like monkeys, wear the worst possible clothes and smoke like no tomorrow? Are you proud that the government sanctions smoking and allows its citizens to die from second hand smoke? Are you proud that out NS insturctors pretend to be bigshots and allow our boys to die ad keep it under wraps?
ARE YOU PROUD TO BE SINGAPOREAN?
I would love to say I am, and I would love to be proud of my Country. I would love to say "My Country". I would love to say the pledge and mean it. I would love o tell others that I am Singaporean. I would love to live out my life in Singapore. I would love to SERVE my nation.
But I cannot even bring myself to say "My Nation, My Country"
Tell me how is it that I am not proud to be Singaporean.
How is it my heart does not swell with pride when I sing my National Anthem (although it may be written in some ridiculous tongue).
How is it the pledge means nothing to me.
How is it that I am not PROUD?